Annual Silver City Blues Festival will take place May 26-28, 2017, Memorial Day weekend, in Silver City, NM. This year’s festival continues to be free for all to enjoy, thanks to presenting sponsor, Lawley Toyota. It is also supported by many local businesses and individual blues lovers.
The festival kicks-off on Friday, May 26, at 6:30 pm with Beale Street’s best, the Ghost Town Blues Band featuring a second-line horn entrance, cigar box guitars, Allman Brothers style jams and even a hip-hop trombone player.
Saturday, May 27 highlights include the Delgado Brothers, dubbed L.A.’s best Latin blues band, and Johnny Long’s throwback sounds of a prewar country blues player. Markus James and the Wassonrai headline Saturday’s schedule with a blend of North Mississippi-style blues riffs and rhythms laid down by a trio of West African musicians.
On Sunday, May 28, the lineup includes a guitar/harmonica duo from Colorado and regional favorite, Pat ‘Guitar Slim’ Chase. Headlining on Sunday is special guest, the Chase Walker Band. Led by 19-year-old guitarist-phenom, Chase Walker has already caught the attention of Guitar World Magazine
, (”next Blues hero”). American Blues Scene
called Walker one of the “Top 10 Musicians Under 18 You Need to Know” and Blues Rock Review
named him among the top 5 “2016 Artists to Know”.
The Mimbres Region Arts Council is pleased to announce the talented lineup for this year’s festival:
- Ghost Town Blues Band – Memphis, TN
- Brandon Perrault and Friends – Silver City, NM
- Johnny Long – Denver, Colorado
- Miller & The Other Sinners – Western New York
- Delgado Brothers – Los Angeles, CA
- Markus James and The Wassonrai – San Francisco, CA + West Africa
- Walker-Shellist Duo – Denver, Colorado
- Pat ‘Guitar Slim’ Chase – Las Cruces, NM
- Chase Walker Band – Nashville, TN & Riverside, CA
The 2017 Blues Festival will have something for everyone – from big guitars to local performers, and unique vendors to creative interactive activities for the whole family to enjoy. There are several new and exciting attractions this year.
- On Friday, May 26, Silver City’s very own Glasserie will put on the first Gila Glass Classic.
- Throughout the weekend, Denver’s Knomad Colab will create a light installation in the park.
- Explora Museum will be coming from Albuquerque to provide interactive science based activities for kids and families.
- The festival will also be hosting demonstrations from local artists and organizations.
More festival information and links to band websites are available at www.silvercitybluesfestival.org
. Please come out and support the Mimbres Region Arts Council in its mission of nurturing a creative community and benefiting music programs in Grant County.