Bayard, New Mexico is located in the foothills of the Gila and Mogollon Mountains in the southwestern portion of the State of New Mexico. It is situated east of the Continental Divide with an elevation of approximately 5,800 feet. To the north lies the Gila National Forest and to the south a semi-arid desert of predominantly grasses and Yucca.
Formally known as Bayard Station, the present Village of Bayard then consisted of a small depot on the Santa Fe Railroad and a homesteader's ranch house. The location now features a new, modern elementary school. The original depot named Hall's Station was located near the present one with a nearby residence for the depot manager, O.M. Johns and his wife.
The City of Bayard was incorporated on August 20, 1938.
Bayard is located at 32°45′34″N 108°8′3″W (32.759569, -108.134035).